1 Part Lemon Juice, 1 Part Honey, 5 Parts Gin

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Where my ladies at?

I've been busy but still cooking now and then. Here are some recent foodstuffs that I have made.


  • Sweet and Sour Chicken Thighs with Carrots: I made this last night, and it's my favorite recipe that I've cooked recently. I made it using 1/4 c. water instead of 1/2 c. water, which made the flavor of the sauce sufficiently concentrated (tasty for spooning over rice or your accompaniment of choice). I also didn't use quite as many carrots, maybe only about 1/2-3/4 lb, and added about 1/2 tbsp. extra honey to sweeten it up more.
  • Coconut Lime Rice Pudding: I remember Dinner made this a long time ago. I think I like rice puddings with coconut milk more than those with just milk and/or cream. This recipe could use a little more liquid for my taste, perhaps another cup of milk would do it. Or to give it more of an Indian twist, merge with this recipe. Note: Do not make with non-light coconut milk, it makes the recipe too heavy.
  • Oven Roasted Spareribs with Peach Glaze: The sauce in this recipe is pretty good, although not quite as finger-lickingly scrum-dilly-licious as one would hope. I've been trying to perfect the oven-roasted spareribs technique. Right now, my general method has been to stick the ribs in 325 degree oven for 2 hours, covered, basting with the sauce in the last 30 minutes or so.
  • Addendum: The last time I made this, I only had about 1/2 tsp chili powder left, so I added 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, which seemed to give the sauce more zing, although I might use a little less garlic next time as that powder stuff is quite potent. I also used apricot preserves, which were as tasty as the peach ones.
  • Capellini with Salmon and Lemon-Dill-Vodka Sauce: Hmm, the first time I made this I thought it was totally fab, but the last time was less impressive. I think I slightly overcooked both the salmon and pasta, which probably ruined the texture of the dish. I used somewhat pricy vodka each time (Stoli and Ketel 1, respectively), but I read that it doesn't make a difference what brand you use for cooking, and it should probably make even less of a difference when you are cooking it for 45 minutes (as in this recipe). I will have to try it again sometime and report back on my findings!
  • Chilled Tomato Soup with Citrus and Spice: Another recipe with vodka which I haven't made yet: I should make this before the weather gets too nippy ...
  • Pork Stir-fry with Green Beans and Peanuts: Good stirfry with a pleasing texture. This could use a bit of cornstarch to get the sauce to cling to the food. Also, marinate the pork for a couple of hours if possible.

1 Comments:

Blogger dinner said...

Yum, rice pudding! I will have to make that soon. I've been spending a lot of time on homework for my class, and so have been mainly eating flattened bananas from TJs. I wish someone would feed me. I made buckwheat crepes a while ago, though that was easy and good. The tortilla warmer is perfect for making crepes - thanks Vis!

9:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home